Agenda and draft minutes

Dorset Council
Tuesday, 16th February, 2021 6.30 pm

Venue: A link to the meeting can be found on the front page of the agenda.. View directions

Contact: Susan Dallison  Email: Susan.dallison@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

47.

Apologies

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

An apology for absence was received from Mike Dyer.

48.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 111 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 10 December 2020.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 10 December 2020 were confirmed and agreed as a correct record and would be signed by the Chairman in the future.

 

In response to a question about the supplementary question raised by Cllr Trite, the Democratic Services Manager undertook to ensure this would be included when the minutes were published.

49.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of interest.

Minutes:

No declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests were made at the meeting.

 

In respect of agenda item 9, Harbour Budget and Fees, Cllr Turner advised that his brother held a licence for Lyme Regis harbour.

 

In respect of agenda item 11, Weymouth Rowing Club Lease, Cllr Orrell advised that all of his family were members of the Rowing Club.

50.

Chairman's Announcements

To receive any announcements from the Chairman of Council.

Minutes:

The Chairman advised she had no announcements at this time.

51.

Public Participation - Questions and Statements pdf icon PDF 44 KB

A period of 30 minutes is allocated to receive and respond to questions and statements, on the business of the Council in the following order:

(a) Questions and statements from Town and Parish Councils;

(b) Questions and statements from those living or working in the Dorset Council area;

A person or organisation can ask either 2 questions, or 2 statements or 1 question and 1 statement at each meeting. 

 

**Important** The full text of the question or statement must be received by 8.30am on Thursday 11 February 2021 and each question or statement is limited to 450 words.

 

Due to the Coronavirus pandemic public speaking has been suspended, however questions and statements will be published on the website and the Chairman of Council will decide whether a question or statement is to be read out aloud in whole, in part or not at all in the meeting.  The Chairman will invite the relevant member to respond to the questions and statements at the meeting.     

 

Details of the Council’s procedure rules can be found at: Public Participation at Full Council

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Public questions, statements and the responses from the Leader of the Council and appropriate Portfolio Holders are set out in Appendix 1 attached to these minutes.

52.

Public participation - petitions and deputations

A period of 15 minutes is allocated to receive and respond to petitions in accordance with the council’s petitions scheme.

 

A period of 15 minutes is allocated to receive and respond to deputations in accordance with the council’s constitution.

 

The petitions scheme and procedures relating to deputations can be viewed at :

https://moderngov.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/documents/s5860/Part%202.%20Pages%2096-183%20-%20Rules%20of%20Procedure.pdf

   

 

Minutes:

There were no petitions or deputations.

53.

Announcements and Reports from the Leader of Council and Cabinet Members

To receive any announcements and reports from the Leader of Council and members of the Cabinet.

 

 

  

Minutes:

The Leader of the Council advised members that his bulletin would be published following the meeting and a few of the areas that would be included in this were as follows:-

 

Climate change

Challenges of a further lockdown

Vaccines being rolled out very successfully

Dorset Council News was due out next month

The emerging Dorset Local Plan

Explanations were given around the budget

Acquisition of St Mary’s School, Shaftesbury

Update on Covid-19 in Dorset

Results from the recent Residents survey

The Leader’s continuing role as an advocate for Dorset

Keeping residents well informed during the pandemic for the past year.

54.

Questions from Councillors pdf icon PDF 54 KB

To receive questions submitted by councillors.  The deadline for receipt of questions is 8.30am on Thursday 11 February 2021.

Minutes:

Questions put by councillors to the Leader and relevant Portfolio Holders are attached to these minutes at Appendix 2, together with the responses.

 

Cllr Tooke asked a supplementary question relating to the recent PSPO consultation on dog fouling that ran for a longer period that the local Plan.  He felt that the Local Plan was a far more significant piece of work and how did the council plan to address any reputational damage that might occur as a result of this.  The Portfolio Holder for Planning advised that the community involvement consultation had been planned for 6 weeks and this was extended to 8 weeks. There was another consultation planned for later in the year. Dorset Council was very vulnerable without a Local Plan in place. It was not just about particular local areas but about various other issues. He made reference to a recent ministerial statement that stated the Council needed to have a Plan in place by the end of 2023.

55.

Harbours Budget and Fees and Charges 2021-22 pdf icon PDF 49 KB

To consider a recommendation from the Harbours Committee.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman of the Harbours Committee set out the recommendations from the Harbours Committee for members.

 

Proposed: Mark Roberts

Seconded: Rob Hughes

 

Questions from members focused on the Harbours Committee’s confidence in the proposed increases and the good value that they represented.

 

Decisions

That the following related to budget requirements for the Harbours’ Budgets

for 2021/22 be approved, including:

1. The Weymouth Harbour Budget for 2021/22;

2. The fees and charges for 2021/22 for Weymouth Harbour;

3. The Asset Management Plan Improvements for 2021/22 for Weymouth

Harbour subject to a mid-year review;

4. The budget request for Bridport Harbour for 2021/22;

5. The budget request for Lyme Regis Harbour for 2021/22; and

6. The fees and charges for 2021/22 for Bridport and Lyme Regis Harbours.

 

Reason for Decisions

The Harbours Committee has the responsibility for the harbours’ finances

including budget setting, budget monitoring and the final outturn at the year

end.

56.

Budget Strategy pdf icon PDF 54 KB

To approve the Budget Strategy.

 

Appendix 2 will be published as soon as it is available.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Portfolio Holder for Finance, Commercial and Capital Strategy set out the recommendations from the Cabinet.

 

An amendment had been proposed from Cllr Ezzard which had been attached as a supplement to the agenda. Cllr Brenton seconded the amendment and noted that all councillors realised they needed to mitigate on climate change. To the residents of the Dorset it seemed all the action was being undertaken by volunteer groups. She felt Dorset Council needed to lead on this and this would show that the Council had a commitment to climate change.

 

There were a number of comments and questions relating to the amendment including:-

 

A small step to giving the climate emergency a proper place

The budget had not addressed the need to meet the needs of this area

£19m funding had been awarded to the Council to help with climate change

The work that Cllr Bryan had undertaken in respect of climate change

The effects of climate change

Assumptions in the budget made and decisions on this made by Town Councils

No wish to revisit the budget on member allowances

No wish to ask the Dorset tax-payer to pay anymore

Disappointment the amendment submitted so late following all the budget consultations that had taken place with members

Climate change costs were already in the budget

Procedural issue raised with the Monitoring Officer who responded that the amendment was procedurally valid.

.

In accordance with procedure rule 19.6 a recorded vote was taken. Those who voted in favour of the amendment: Cllrs Alex Brenton, Kelvin Clayton, Tim Cook. Janet Dover, Beryl Ezzard, Brian Heatley, Ryan Holloway, Ryan Hope, Nick Ireland, Paul Kimber, Robin Legg, David Morgan, Jon Orrell, Maria Roe, Andrew Starr, Clare Sutton, Gill Taylor and David Tooke.

 

Those who voted against the amendment: Cllrs Rod Adkins, Anthony Alford, Jon Andrews, Shane Bartlett, Pauline Batstone, David Bolwell, Cherry Brooks, Piers Brown, Ray Bryan, Graham Carr-Jones, Simon Christopher, Susan Cocking, Robin Cook, Toni Coombs, Jean Dunseith, Tony Ferrari, Spencer Flower, Les Fry, Simon Gibson, Barry Goringe, Paul Harrison, Rob Hughes, Sherry Jespersen, Carole Jones, Andrew Kerby, Rebecca Knox, Nocturin Lacey-Clarke, Cathy Lugg, Laura Miller, Louie O’Leary, Emma Parker, Mike Parkes, Andrew Parry, Mary Penfold, Bill Pipe, Val Pothecary, Byron Quayle, Belinda Ridout, Mark Roberts, Julie Robinson, David Shortell, Jane Somper, Gary Suttle, William Trite, Daryl Turner, David Walsh, Peter Wharf, Kate Wheller and John Worth.

 

Abstentions: Cllrs Michael Barron, Peter Barrow, Derek Beer, Richard Biggs, David Gray, Matt Hall, Howard Legg, Stella Jones, Molly Rennie, Roland Tarr, David Taylor and Sarah Williams

 

Following a recorded vote, 18 for, 49 against and 12 abstentions the amendment was LOST. 

 

Group Leaders were initially invited to speak on the budget strategy.

 

Nick Ireland, Leader of the Liberal Democrat Group read out a prepared statement.

 

Comments from members were also received including:-

 

Thanks and congratulations to all staff and volunteers for the past year especially in respect of the distribution of business grants

Consideration of a tax emergency in the future.

 

The Portfolio  ...  view the full minutes text for item 56.

Recorded Vote
TitleTypeRecorded Vote textResult
Amendment to the budget Amendment Rejected
Substantive budget item Resolution Carried
  • View Recorded Vote for this item
  • 57.

    Weymouth Rowing Club Lease pdf icon PDF 49 KB

    To consider a recommendation from the Harbours Committee.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Chairman of the Harbours Committee set out the recommendation from the Harbours Committee.

     

    Proposed: Mark Roberts

    Seconded: Rob Hughes

     

    Decisions

    1. That the lease for the Weymouth Rowing Club be renewed for an interim

    period of 3 years from 25 March 2020.

    2. That the Harbours Committee be given delegated authority to determine

    further interim renewals of the lease if necessary.

    3. That the Harbours Committee be given delegated authority to determine

    whether to grant a full lease for a period of 25 years from 25 March 2020

    once the Harbour Revision Order has been approved.

     

    Reason for Decisions

    The Gig Rowing Club continues to be an integral part of the harbour and have an active membership. The renewal is a short-term temporary arrangement until a longer term lease can be considered once the Harbour Revision Order has been approved

    58.

    Appointment of Co-Opted Independent Member of the Harbours Committee pdf icon PDF 56 KB

    To consider a recommendation from the Harbours Committee.

    Minutes:

    The Chairman of the Harbours Committee set out the recommendation from the Harbours Committee.

     

    Proposed: Mark Roberts

    Seconded: Rob Hughes

     

    The Chairman confirmed that 3 applications had been received and all 3 applicants were interviewed.

     

    Decision

    That the nomination of the Harbours Committee's Appointments Panel for a new Co-opted Independent Member, Mr William Ellwood be approved.

     

    Reason for Decision

    To ensure that the membership of the Harbours Committee is in accordance with the Dorset Council Constitution and industry best practice.

    59.

    Pay Policy Statement 2021/22 pdf icon PDF 64 KB

    To approve the annual Pay Policy Statement.    

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Portfolio Holder for Corporate Development and Change advised members that, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011, Council was responsible for approving the annual pay policy statement for 2021/22.

     

    Cllr Ireland proposed the following amendment to the Pay Policy Statement:-

     

    Appendix A, add after item 7.4 (page 142)

     

    7.5 Dorset Council resolves to work to the lowest wages it pays being in accordance with the minimum Real Living Wage as defined by the Living Wage Foundation by 1st April 2022 and seek accreditation for such from the same.

     

    Cllr Howard Legg seconded the amendment.

     

    The Monitoring Officer confirmed this was a valid amendment in that it added words to the proposal before members.  In terms of councillors being able to make evidence-based decisions, notice of this type of amendment was not required.  With reference to the principles for good decision making, members had not received financial advice or HR advice for this amendment and therefore was possibly not in accordance with good decision making.

     

    Several comments were made by members including:-

     

    Reference made to the lowest paid workers

    Reference made to retaining good staff and paying them enough

    Concern letting residents down by making decisions ad hoc

    Importance of following proper consultation and agreements

    The statement does not change the pay strategy but would like to see it applied to terms and conditions and go through proper channels

    Being a socially responsible council

    No opportunity to discuss properly or receive relevant advice

     

    The Leader advised members that the Council relied on national pay bargaining which was a platform to put this forward as a national point.  He was happy to acknowledge the point made and ensure it was brought forward to the national conversation in relation to pay bargaining.

    .

    The Deputy Leader advised members that this was a factual statement that met the requirements of the Localism Act and was not a policy statement.

     

    On being put to the vote the amendment was lost.

     

    Proposed: Peter Wharf

    Seconded: Spencer Flower

     

    Decisions

    1. That the provisions of the Localism Act and content of the Pay Policy

    Statement for the 2021/22 financial year be noted; and

    2. That the Pay Policy Statement for 2021/22 be approved.

     

    Reason for Decision

    The Full Council is responsible for approval of the annual pay policy statement.

    60.

    Calendar of Meetings 2021-22 pdf icon PDF 62 KB

    To approve the Calendar of Meetings 2021 – 2022.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Leader of the Council presented the draft calendar of meetings for the municipal year 2021 to 2022 for formal adoption.

     

    Proposed: Spencer Flower

    Seconded: Les Fry

     

    One member was disappointed there was not a mix of daytime and evening meetings.

     

    Decisions

    1. That the Calendar of meetings for the period May 2021 to May 2022 be

    adopted.

    2. That authority be delegated to the Corporate Director – Legal and

    Democratic Services to make any necessary changes, in consultation with

    the relevant Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen, to ensure effective political

    management.

     

    Reason for Decisions

    To ensure effective political management, comply with the Dorset Council

    Procedure Rules and to put into place appropriate arrangements for Council

    committee meetings.

    61.

    Urgent items

    To consider any items of business which the Chairman has had prior notification and considers to be urgent pursuant to section 100B (4) b) of the Local Government Act 1972. The reason for the urgency shall be recorded in the minutes.

     

    Minutes:

    There were no urgent items to report.

    62.

    Exempt Business

    To move the exclusion of the press and the public for the following item in view of the likely disclosure of exempt information within the meaning of paragraph 3 of schedule 12 A to the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended).

    The public and the press will be asked to leave the meeting whilst the item of business is considered.

    Minutes:

    There was no exempt business.