Venue: MS Teams Live Event
Contact: Kate Critchel 01305 252234 - Email: email@example.com
Note: Additonal Meeting
Declarations of Interest
To receive any declarations of interest.
To receive questions or statements on the business of the committee from town and parish councils and members of the public. Public speaking has been suspended for virtual committee meetings during the Covid-19 crisis and public participation will be dealt with through written submissions only.
Please note that any questions and/or statements for this Extra Ordinary meeting must relate to the matter for which this meeting has been called.
Members of the public who live, work or represent an organisation within the Dorset Council area, may submit up to two questions or a statement of up to a maximum of 450 words. All submissions must be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline set out below. When submitting a question please indicate who the question is for and include your name, address and contact details. Questions and statements received in line with the council’s rules for public participation will be published as a supplement to the agenda.
Questions will be read out by an officer of the council and a response given by the appropriate Portfolio Holder or officer at the meeting. All questions, statements and responses will be published in full within the minutes of the meeting.
The deadline for submission of the full text of a question or statement is 8.30am on 26 April 2021
Questions from Members
To receive questions submitted by councillors. The deadline for
receipt of questions is 8.30am on 26 April 2021
To consider a report of the Portfolio Holder for Children, Education, Skills and Early Help.
1. That, following public consultation on the future use of the former St Mary’s School site, the consultation report be noted and that the Council’s preferred option for the use of the site proceed;
2. That the Business Plan to use the site as an independent special school for children and young people of Dorset and the longer-term vision, be approved;
3. That the formation of a company limited by shares and the entry into such ancillary legal documentation, as may be necessary in line with the proposed scope contained in the Business Plan, be approved;
4. That the granting of indemnities for personal liability incurred by council officers acting in the role of directors of the company, be approved;
5. That Cabinet agrees to the granting of a lease of the site to the company on terms to be approved by the Executive Director for Place in consultation with the Executive Director for People – Children’s; and that service agreements between the Council and the company to deliver the Business Plan on terms to be approved by the Executive Director for People - Children's.
6. That authority be delegated the Portfolio Holder for Children, Education, Skills and Early Help in consultation with the Executive Director for People – Children’s to deliver the Dorset Council actions within the Business Plan.
Reason for the decision 1:
There was overwhelming support for the St Marys site to continue to be used for educational purposes, with 92% overall in favour. In addition, there was very strong support for specifically using St Marys as a school for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) with 89% overall in favour alongside 82% of respondents that signalled strong support for the additional use of the St Mary’s site to create complementary facilities for vulnerable children, young people and adults.
This demonstrated strong support to deliver the Council’s preferred option to create a new independent school for children and young people of Dorset with SEND.
for the decision 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
To consider any items of business which the Chairman has had prior notification and considers to be urgent pursuant to section 100B (4) b) of the Local Government Act 1972. The reason for the urgency shall be recorded in the minutes.
To move the exclusion of the press and the public for the following item in view of the likely disclosure of exempt information within the meaning of paragraph X of schedule 12 A to the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended).
The public and the press will be asked to leave the meeting whilst the item of business is considered.
There is no exempt business scheduled for this meeting.