Agenda and minutes

Informal, Police and Crime Panel - Wednesday, 7th July, 2021 10.00 am

Venue: A link to the meeting can be found on the front page of the agenda.. View directions

Contact: Elaine Tibble  01305 224202 - Email:


No. Item


Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of interest.


No declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests were made at the meeting.



Public Participation

To receive questions or statements on the business of the committee from town and parish councils and members of the public.


Public speaking has been suspended for virtual committee meetings during the Covid-19 crisis and public participation will be dealt with through written submissions only. Members of the public who live, work or represent an organisation within the Dorset/BCP Council area, may submit up to two questions or a statement of up to a maximum of 450 words. All submissions must be sent electronically to by the deadline set out below.


When submitting a question please indicate who the question is for and include your name, address and contact details. Questions and statements received in line with the council’s rules for public participation will be published as a supplement to the agenda. Questions will be read out by an officer of the council and a response given by the appropriate officer at the meeting. All questions, statements and responses will be published in full within the minutes of the meeting. The deadline for submission of the full text of a question or statement is 8.30am on Friday 2nd July 2021


There were no statements or questions from Town and Parish Councils or public at the meeting:



Police and Crime Plan and first 100 days update (00.35.11 on recording) pdf icon PDF 175 KB

To present members with an update on the Police and Crime Commissioner’s

approach to his Police and Crime Plan, as well as an overview of the work

underway during his first 100 days in office.



The Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) presented his report, detailing his approach to his Police and Crime Plan, as well as an overview of the work underway during his first 100 days in office.


He paid tribute to his team at the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) and clarified any mis-information regarding funding received as a candidate, he had funded this himself and by his wife returning to work in the NHS. There had been a cap on election funding contributions and there was no party whip or mechanism for him to be told what to do.

He had taken an oath to work for the whole of Dorset and the Chief Constable was operationally independent which he would respect.


He presented his report to the panel and advised that he hoped to have his Police and Crime Plan published in October 2021 ahead of the March 2022 deadline


He focused on his six main priorities which were to:-


Cut crime and ASB

Make Policing more visible and connected

Fight violent crime and high harm

Fight rural crime

Put victims and communities first

Make every penny count


The PCC gave an update on his aspirations during his first 100 days in office and the initial next steps, which would include the creation of a draft of the Police and Crime Plan.

The Panel members were invited to ask questions and to note the report


Questions from panel members and the PCC’s responses are attached as an appendix to these minutes and can be found at (00.59.30) on the recording of the meeting.


Actions: Item to be put on the Forward Plan for the PCC to bring back a report to the panel on the reasons for disproportionality, his approach to it and any links between disproportionality and discrimination.


PCC to email the panel with his working definition of front-line policing for scrutiny purposes.


Road Safety Update (01:52.00 on recording) pdf icon PDF 293 KB

This paper updates members on road safety and casualty reduction activity within Dorset, as well as some of the related opportunities that the PCC will be exploring during his term.



The PCC presented a report on road safety and casualty reduction activity within Dorset, as well as some of the related opportunities that he intended to explore during his term.


Updated accident figures were presented together with a vision for a future with safer roads.


Following the PCC’s presentation, the panel were invited to pose questions which focussed on the following subjects:


Support for unmarked vehicles which were often active in finding uninsured, untaxed, and un-moted cars, often used for criminal activity.

Digital cameras.

ASB on the roads - plans for engagement with car enthusiasts, young people, with loud exhausts, fast cars, modified car systems, back firing systems etc.

Cameras – partnership issue between the police and Local Authorities.

Speed cameras and the impact on driver behaviour.

The strengthening of more Speed Watch connectivity with the police.

Concerns around social media and hostility between the car and bike communities.

Drug driving.

E scooters.

Hedge & verge cutting to ensure visibility on the roads.

Use of Section 59 and ASB.


Members were advised that Dorset Police had partnered with a youtuber and had posted a number of educational videos on-line to address some of the ASB issues.

Link below:


Actions: OPCC to report to the panel with the results of e-scooter trial.

Forward Plan item – fatal accident update report in September 2023.







Police and Crime Plan Monitoring Report - Q4 (02:45:55 on recording) pdf icon PDF 171 KB

To receive an update of progress against the Police and Crime Plan  Q4 2020/21, to enable Panel members to scrutinise performance, seek assurance and assess outcomes achieved in the reporting period.

Additional documents:


The Chief Executive of the OPCC presented an update of progress and activity against the previous administration’s Police and Crime Plan. The panel were able to scrutinise activity and assess the achievement of outcomes.


He addressed the crime statistics within the report and highlighted the salient points. Over 100 commitments from the Plan had been delivered and he thanked OPCC colleagues for their efforts in meeting those challenges.


The Chief Executive gave an update on outstanding items from the 4 pillars, following which the Pillar Leads were also given the opportunity to advise the panel of any updates in their areas.


The Chief Finance officer of OPCC presented the Quarter 4 2020/21 finance monitoring report (03:15:25 on the recording) and invited questions from the panel. 




Annual Report 2020/21 (03:22:10 on recording) pdf icon PDF 1 MB

To receive a summary of the key work undertaken by the PCC and his office during the final, additional, year of 2016-2021 term.



The Chief Executive of the OPCC presented a summary of the key work undertaken by the previous PCC and his office during his final, additional, year of the 2016-2021 term.

He referred to the approved pre-cept increase of £10 for 2019/20 in order to deliver a balanced budget and support the uplift of 50 new officers which had been delivered.


The Chief Executive requested members’ views on the draft to be forwarded to him by Friday 23 July.  The Chairman asked the panel to send their comments to the Service Manager for Assurance, by 16 July and he would collate the information and send to the Chief Executive.



Complaints Update

To receive a verbal update from the Chairman of the Police and Crime Panel Complaints Sub-Committee.


There had been no complaints to report.


Forward Workplan pdf icon PDF 157 KB

To receive and review the PCP Forward Plan.


The forward plan was presented and noted.


Urgent items

To consider any items of business which the Chairman has had prior notification and considers to be urgent pursuant to section 100B (4) b) of the Local Government Act 1972. The reason for the urgency shall be recorded in the minutes.



There were no urgent items.



Exempt Business

To move the exclusion of the press and the public for the following item in view of the likely disclosure of exempt information within the meaning of paragraph 3 of schedule 12 A to the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended).

The public and the press will be asked to leave the meeting whilst the item of business is considered.


There was no exempt business.

Appendix to item 3 Q&A pdf icon PDF 352 KB