Agenda and draft minutes

Informal, Police and Crime Panel - Thursday, 23rd September, 2021 10.00 am

Venue: A link to the meeting can be found on the front page of the agenda.. View directions

Contact: Elaine Tibble  01305 224202 - Email: elaine.tibble@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk

Note: Informal 

Media

Items
No. Item

18.

Introductions and Actions Update (00:16:15 on recording)

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

The Service Manager for Assurance gave a brief update on actions from the last meeting which had been added to the workplan.  There was an outstanding item to be added to the work plan, for Alliance Savings.  The update from the Police and Crime Commissioner can be found at 00:21:30 on the recording.

19.

Declarations of Interest

To disclose any pecuniary, other registrable or non-registrable interests as set out in the adopted Code of Conduct. In making their disclosure councillors are asked to state the agenda item, the nature of the interest and any action they propose to take as part of their declaration.

If required, further advice should be sought from the Monitoring Officer in advance of the meeting.

 

Minutes:

No declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests were made at the meeting.

 

 

20.

Public Participation

To receive questions or statements on the business of the committee from town and parish councils and members of the public.

 

Public speaking has been suspended for virtual committee meetings during the Covid-19 crisis and public participation will be dealt with through written submissions only. Members of the public who live, work or represent an organisation within the Dorset/BCP Council area, may submit up to two questions or a statement of up to a maximum of 450 words. All submissions must be sent electronically to elaine.tibble@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk by the deadline set out below.

 

When submitting a question please indicate who the question is for and include your name, address and contact details. Questions and statements received in line with the council’s rules for public participation will be published as a supplement to the agenda.

 

Questions will be read out by an officer of the council and a response given by the appropriate officer at the meeting. All questions, statements and responses will be published in full within the minutes of the meeting. The deadline for submission of the full text of a question or statement is 8.30am on Monday 20 September 2021.

Minutes:

There were no questions or statements from the Public, Town or Parish Councils at the meeting.

21.

Firearms Licencing (00:24:00 on recording)

To receive a verbal update.

Minutes:

The panel sought assurance through a verbal update from the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) that the firearms licencing policy across the Alliance with Devon and Cornwall Police was fit for purpose and safe.

 

The PCC gave an outline briefing on the recent shooting in Plymouth, these mass shootings were very rare, and this was the first of its type since the Cumbria shootings in 2010.  He highlighted the incredible police and partnership response, thanking those officers and volunteers involved.

 

He gave the panel an overview of the work underway to date referring to the Firearms Act of 1968 and the involvement of relevant organisations and governing bodies, together with reviews currently being undertaken.  There were limits to what he was able to comment on due to the ongoing reviews and operational matters.

 

Questions from panel members and PCC responses can be found at 00:28:50 on the recording.

 

The statement made by the PCC is attached as appendix to these minutes.

 

Action: In response to a question regarding the number of people who had firearms licences in Dorset the PCC agreed to get the exact numbers of firearms licences and let the panel know.

 

22.

Police and Crime Plan Update and Response to Panel Feedback (00:33:28 on recording. pdf icon PDF 323 KB

To present members with an update on the Police and Crime Commissioner’s forthcoming Police and Crime Plan, as well as to provide a formal response to the Panel’s recommendations regarding said Plan.

 

 

Minutes:

The PCC responded to feedback from the Police and Crime Panel (PCP) on his new Police and Crime Plan (P&CPlan).  The Panel had sought clear benchmarking, success parameters and timelines in order to meet a phased approach, a Precept impact statement and a demonstrable cost of Police demand in order to justify expenditure.

 

The PCC thanked the panel, his team and those involved in putting together his first Police and Crime Plan scheduled to be published by 31 October 2021, approximately five months ahead of the deadline.  He provided a verbal briefing, going through the contents of the report advising that the plan could be revised and re issued at any time.  Members were asked to note the report

 

Questions from the panel and responses can be found at  00:41:00 on the recording. These focused on:-

 

Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) and the reporting mechanisms.

How the PCC proposed to make the Police “Crime Fighters” again and reduce bureaucracy.

Effective drug rehabilitation.

Fraud and scamming.

Benchmarking.

ASB/Domestic Violence/County Lines.

Business Crime Prevention.

 

It was requested that the PCC ensures any future consultation surveys should include questions relating to all protected characteristics as defined by equality legislation.

 

Actions – Bring back an update on benchmarking to the Panel at their training day in November.

23.

Priority Lead Policy - Sign Off (01:17:05 on recording) pdf icon PDF 183 KB

To approve the Priority Lead Policy

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Service Manager for Assurance presented the Dorset Police and Crime Plan – Priority Lead Policy for approval from the panel.

 

It was proposed by Mr I McVie and seconded by Cllr M Haines that the panel were minded to delegate implementation of the policy to The Service Manager for Assurance.

 

On being put to the vote the proposal was carried.

 

 

24.

Q1 Monitoring Report (01:18:10 on the recording) pdf icon PDF 822 KB

To receive an update of progress against the Police and Crime Plan Q1 2021/22, to enable Panel members to scrutinise performance, seek assurance and assess outcomes achieved in the reporting period.

Minutes:

The Police and Crime Plan Monitoring Report for Quarter 1, 2021/22 was presented to the panel, them being mindful that it was the previous PCC’s plan they were scrutinising, not the new PCC’s

 

The PCC highlighted that the monitoring report had a new look.  The plan was still work in progress and would evolve, especially bench-marking sections.

 

The 6 priorities of the plan were introduced individually, (from May 6 to June 2021). 

 

The OPCC Chief Finance Officer was invited to present the revenue budget performance up the end of July and the capital budget up to the end of June. (01:38:24 on the recording). There were no concerns over the 0.22% of the overspend reported on the revenue budget.  In terms of the Capital programme this was reviewed quarterly and showed an underspend of 700k for the year.  In relation to reserves, these largely reflected carry forwards. There were some identified capital receipts generated at the beginning of the year, these were not planned to be used at this point, they would be held and applied to the capital programme in a planned manner.

 

Questions relating to the financial report were invited from the panel.  These can be found at 01:42:00 on the recording.  Questions focused on:-

 

The new legal reserve and why it was under earmarked reserves and not out of general reserves.

The ability to look at financial resilience and making investments in order to generate income.

 

Action – in relation to the legal reserve it was thought that police officers paid monthly into a federation to cover legal issues.  An update was requested on the financial position of the federation and its ownership of a hotel. (Due to issues of the National Staff Association).

 

General questions on the monitoring report can be found at 01:49:53 of the report and focussed on:

 

What effective scrutiny would be put in place by the PCC for the Dorset

Police use of force and stop and search.

What recruitment measures were being carried out to recruit members to a new scrutiny panel.

Use of 101 and ASB – clear understanding for the public on report logging and information.

The new body to administer the 101 single non emergency number and measures to be taken to ensure it links in with local operations.

Different categories of crime.

Hotspot crimes.

Victim support.

 

Actions – PCC and OPCC Chief Finance Officer to look at options of income generation through CCTV.

Item for forward workplan (next year) – OPCC report on formation of new scrutiny panel for Dorset Police stop and search, use of force and taser.

 

25.

VFM of the Uplift in additional Officers in the 2021 year (02:38:00 on recording)

To receive a verbal update.

Minutes:

The panel sought assurance from the PCC that recruitment was on track to meet the uplift in police numbers.

 

The PCC gave the panel an update on the current figures and the two main routes for new recruits into the force via a two or three year process and value for money.

 

Members were given the opportunity to ask questions of the PCC – these can be found at 02:41:40 on the recording.

.

These included:-

How the PCC would ensure the uplift met his police and crime aspirations.

Into what areas had the new officers been appointed.

Anticipated timescale when new officers would be up to speed, trained and on the ground.

How job satisfaction was monitored.

In view of the positive aspect of the recruitment of new officers, could the PCC convey the good news to the public.

 

The statement made by the PCC is attached as appendix to these minutes.

 

26.

Comfort Break

Minutes:

12:49 – 12:55 – comfort break.

 

In accordance with Procedural Rule 8.1 It was proposed by Cllr Dove, seconded by Cllr May to extend the duration of the meeting.

 

Cllr Barrow left the meeting at this juncture.

 

27.

Innovation Fund Review (03:09:53 on recording) pdf icon PDF 330 KB

To provide Members with an update on the operation of the Dorset Innovation Board.

Minutes:

The Chief Executive of the Office of Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) presented an update on the operation of the Dorset Innovation Board for members to note.

 

He explained that as part of 2019/20 precept the former PCC and Chief Constable agreed that an innovation fund was created.  In February this year an evidence based policing hub was launched allowing any member of the staff to access from any police device to submit ideas and offer feedback and support.

 

A number of priority areas for innovation and review had been highlighted in the report which were reported to the panel.  He stressed that the Innovation Board and Fund were extremely useful in spearheading the work in innovation and problem solving.

 

Members were given the opportunity to ask questions relating to the Innovation Hub (03:23:00 on the recording)

 

These focused on:-

Communication between partners and referral pathways.

Working with charities/funding application.

Which ideas had been brought forward and feedback on what had been successful.  Looking towards a process to maintain funding and access and if this should be part of the base budget.

Was the Innovation Board going to mix with other Boards and share ideas.

 

Action – item for workplan next year to review and look at what had been successful and sustainable.

 

28.

Complaints Update

To receive a verbal update from the Chairman of the Police and Crime Panel Complaints Sub-Committee.

Minutes:

The Chairman of the Police and Crime Panel Complaints Sub-Committee advised that no complaints had been received.

29.

Forward Workplan pdf icon PDF 679 KB

To receive and review the PCP Forward Plan.

Minutes:

The forward plan was noted.

 

Additional agenda items had been requested and The Service Manager for Assurance suggested re-allocating some items outside of the meeting.

 

Actions: Forward Workplan to be put on the agenda for discussion at the PCP training day in November.

For the next meeting a verbal update on the Estates Review.

30.

Urgent items

To consider any items of business which the Chairman has had prior notification and considers to be urgent pursuant to section 100B (4) b) of the Local Government Act 1972. The reason for the urgency shall be recorded in the minutes.

 

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

 

31.

Exempt Business

To move the exclusion of the press and the public for the following item in view of the likely disclosure of exempt information within the meaning of paragraph 3 of schedule 12 A to the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended).

The public and the press will be asked to leave the meeting whilst the item of business is considered.

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

 

Appendix pdf icon PDF 264 KB