Overview and scrutiny is a statutory activity of the Council, its powers and responsibilities are set out in detail the Council’s Constitution. The Council will appoint members to 2 Overview Committees and 2 Scrutiny Committees:
· People and Health Overview Committee
· People and Health Scrutiny Committee
· Place and Resources Overview Committee
· Place and Resources Scrutiny Committee
Each Overview and Scrutiny Committee will perform all those functions conferred on it by the Local Government Act 2000.
The Scrutiny Committees shall:
(i) Challenge, review or scrutinise the decisions or actions taken by the Cabinet.
(ii) Through the Call to Account process:-
· Scrutinize and review decisions made or actions taken in connection with the discharge of any of the executive functions of the Council.
· Consider petitions made in accordance with the Council’s Petitions Scheme requiring senior officers to be called to account at a public meeting of the Council.
(iii) Through the Call-In process consider executive decisions.
(iv) Provide clear focus upon the scrutiny of matters in relation to:-
· The Council’s strategic approach to Dorset-wide objectives and the Corporate Plan
· Budget plans
· Transformation plans
· The effectiveness of partnership arrangements
(v) Consider matters referred through the Councillor Call for Action.
Support officer: Lindsey Watson. 01305 252209 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 01305 252209